Monday, January 10, 2022

I’m back! (I never really left.)



Pretty much my entire professional career has been Oracle related.  The first time I heard of Oracle as a company I was in college.  The professor of the RDMS class I was taking mentioned that he read about Oracle and thought they had a good product.  (We studied Ingres in class, I think it’s still around.)  

 

My first use of Oracle was version 4 or 5 (not real sure) doing some in house training at a small consulting company.  Then a few years later I went in full on with Oracle 6 at Ford.  I also supported a 5 database at the time.  From then on, it was Oracle stuff.  

 

I started working at Oracle Education (Now Oracle University) as an instructor in 1995.  I did several other gigs in Oracle including Education Manger, Curriculum Developer and Technical Manger in consulting.  I went to Hotsos in 2005 doing mostly teaching but also some consulting.  Hotsos went out of business in December 2018, a dark day indeed.  I went to Zione Solutions as a consultant doing several gigs there.  

 

And now I’m back at Oracle as a Sr. Principal Software Engineer.  (Hum, do I get a cool Railroad Engineer hat for this? I’ll have to check on that.)

 

It’s been a heck of a ride so far, and more to come! 

5 comments:

  1. You got a backpack, coffee cup, notepad? That's more than I got when I came on-board :)

    Welcome back! Now, don't bother me on Slack...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Yea and way more than when I first joined back in '95!

      Oh and you know I'll be buggin' you on slack...

      Delete
  2. Hey, Ric! You’re one of the all-time greats at OE/OU!

    Oracle will be glad you’re back! What will you be doing & will you still be in the Midwest?! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks man! Those were the days eh? Good times back then, even if we didn't know it at the time. I'm in the development side of things this time around. All the work is remote, I'm still living in the great state or Michigan, so yes I'm still midwest.

      Delete
  3. Ric! Welcome home my friend. I'll catch you on slack shortly 🙂

    ReplyDelete